Updating an existing Will
If you already have a Will, but you have decided that you would like to leave a gift to St Catharine's College, there's no need to rewrite it completely - you just need to add a simple codicil.
A codicil doesn't have to change the terms of your Will: it is a supplement, which changes or amends part of the Will. If you decide to change your Will substantially, we would suggest that you contact your solicitor for advice.
Making a Will is relatively straightforward and should cost around £250. If you need help finding a solicitor, The Law Society is a good place to start.
- Appoint a professional adviser – usually a solicitor.
- Work out what you have to leave, including the total sum of your 财产, money and possessions, minus any outstanding debts like mortgages or loans.
- Decide who you would like to benefit from your Will, such as your family, 朋友, charities or good causes.
- Choose executors to ensure your wishes are carried out. These can be professional advisers, 朋友 or family members, or one of each.
- Finally, keep your Will safe and make sure your executors know where to find it. Give a copy to your solicitor.
- If you already have a Will you can update it using this 遗嘱的附录形式.
Legacy wording for different types of legacy
We recommend using one of the following wordings to leave a legacy to St Catharine’s College in your Will, as long as the bequest is straightforward, otherwise you should consult your solicitor. Please see below for the right form of words:
Basic Pecuniary bequest
For a basic pecuniary bequest please use this form of words:
“I give to the 主, 正规的外围app员 and Scholars of St Catharine’s College in the University of Cambridge (registered charity no 1137463) the sum of £ (amount) free of tax for the general purposes of the College and I declare that the receipt of the Bursar or other authorised officer shall be a good and sufficient discharge to my Executors.”
Residual bequest – % of estate
For a residual bequest (percentage of estate), please use the following form of words:
“I give to the 主, 正规的外围app员 and Scholars of St Catharine’s College in the University of Cambridge (registered charity no 1137463) the residue of / (proportion) of the residue of my estate/the sum of £(amount) free of tax for the general purposes of the College and I declare that the receipt of the Bursar or other authorised officer shall be a good and sufficient discharge to my Executors.”
Leaves your assets to a named beneficiary (for example your spouse) for their lifetime, with the whole or a proportion reverting to the College on their death.
Specific or non-monetary bequest
Allows you to leave shares, 财产, 股票, pictures or furniture to the College either on terms that they be retained or that they may be sold when advantageous to provide funds for St Catharine’s. If you are considering this type of bequest, please contact us so that we can discuss what you have in mind.
If you are planning to leave a more complicated bequest, please contact your solicitor for advice.